Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pomodoro Facial



The next time you need a facial, pull a can of tomato paste out of your pantry and smear some on your face. No, I'm not kidding. Apparently acid in tomatoes help dissolve the bonds between the dead skin cells, making them easier to slough off.


I happened to have some left over tomato paste in my refrigerator, so I decided to give this mask a whirl. I felt pretty silly lying on my bed for five minutes with tomato all over my face, not to mention that I smelled like a pizza. But I was amazed with how soft my skin felt after I rinsed it off. It really worked, and was only a fraction of the cost this spa treatment.


So my Thrifty Green Thursday tip this week is stock up on some 60-cent cans of tomato paste to keep your skin feeling soft and youthful. For more tips, click here.
******
There's still time to enter my bloggy giveaway for facial cleanser. Just leave a comment by Friday, August 29, on this post naming your favorite spa treatment. Thanks!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love the Italian name for the facial--ha! It seems like I often have a recipe that calls for two tablespoons of tomato paste, and then I have the whole can left over. Usually I freeze the remainder, but now I will simply smear it all over my face instead.

If anyone finds herself addicted to "pomodoro facials," look out for the tomato paste that comes in a tube. It costs quite a bit more than the canned variety, but you keep it in your fridge and it lasts forever. You can use just a little or a lot, so it's very handy.

Thanks for joining us over at the Thrifty Green Thursday!

Emily said...

I've never heard of doing this before! I just might have to try it!

EatPlayLove said...

Did it make your face red? Like leave a tomato residue?

Joy said...

How fun! I'm going to use this blog as a reason to take a bit of time out for thrifty pampering this weekend. Thanks so much for enriching our Thrifty Green Thursday!

Sara said...

Ooo, this is interesting. I wonder if thawed paste would work just as well. I've got some in the feezer as we 'speak'.