Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cheap Socks Make Great Gifts


Have you heard of "baby legs?" Basically they are leg warmers for babies. I wish I knew of these when my boys were infants. They would have made diaper changing easy since I wouldn't have had to pull off pants to get to the diaper.
Stores sell baby legs for $12 a piece, but if you've got a sewing machine, you can make them with $3 knee-high socks bought at Wal-Mart or Target. I found a tutorial to make them online, but I thought it was confusing, so I thought I'd share my own.


1. Cut the foot part off a knee-high sock.

2. Cut the toe and heel off of the foot part of the sock. This tube will become the baby leg cuff.

3. Fold the tube of fabric in half with the wrong sides together.


4. Insert the sock into the cuff so that all the right sides are facing out. Sew these three layers together and trim the seam.

7. Turn the cuff down, and voila! Here is your baby leg.

These tubes of fabric could also be used has "arm warmers" on a toddler, or even fingerless gloves for an adult. So my Thrifty Green Thursday tip is stock up on cheap socks and make some baby legs/arm warmers/fingerless gloves as gifts.

Click here for more Thrifty Green Thursday tips.

13 comments:

Joy said...

What a fabulous idea! I saw these only after my son had grown beyond them but was a bit hesitant because of cost. Now with your tip it won't even be a factor! I have yet to buy a sewing machine but so many of the creative TGT posts have required one that I've been checking Craigslist on a daily basis. Thanks so much for the insightful tip and for joining us this week for Thrifty Green Thursday!

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

That's cute.....I really wish we had a sewing machine.....and poor Cody does too after what he spent the entire day doing yesterday......SEWING by HAND!!

EatPlayLove said...

I love these! I just don't have any crawling babies in my life. Although I do have a 3/4 length jacket that drives me crazy, maybe I could make some and use them as hip arm warmers!

Memarie Lane said...

great idea. i've never really understood the point of baby legs though, why not wear pants?

Unknown said...

You are the second person in the matter of a week that has sent me downstairs to get the Singer warmed up.

But I remember the tennis shorts I tried sewing for myself, once. Hah!

And of course, we haven't had anyone under two in the house for 15 years.

Rebecca said...

Brilliant! That's funny that Joy's son has already grown beyond baby legs, as he's seven months younger than my daughter, who still has room to grow in hers! (She has a pair that I bought her for her second b-day last January.) My mom tried knitting Audrey baby legs, but they are really just like leg warmers (i.e., slouchy). Sewing them out of socks makes a lot of sense. Great tip!

Emily said...

I love babylegs. We got a pair as a gift, but I would love to make some, too. Great tutorial, thanks!

suzannah | the smitten word said...

i love love love this idea! i've been coveting those baby legs for a while...maybe i can borrow a sewing machine. great tip!

MaryAnn Ashley said...

This is a GREAT idea! I bought those $12 leg warmers when I was potty training my little one. I could've saved a bundle! I'll have to put this one in the gift idea section of my brain.

Stat Mama said...

Oh, I love it! Now...if only I could sew. Truth me told, I did (when I was really into arm warmers for a while) use long socks and Fray Block to make my own arm warmers. Way cheaper than what they wanted in stores like Hot Topic!

Kathleen said...

I made some too, there really are some very nice socks out there. and the girl just loves wearing them, one tip though don't make them too long!

Donna said...

This makes me wish I had just the slightest bit of talent. Alas, I do not. Baby's legs will have to be chilly...

Kathleen W. said...

That's a great tutorial! I've been meaning to make some of those with some knee socks of mine that have holes in the feet. You made it look super easy.