Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cheapo Eye Cream






I’m at the age where the wrinkles around my eyes are more than noticeable. In fact, when I took my recent blog photo, I used the softening effect on my photo editing software to mask those pesky lines.
A year ago, I would have bought this $80 eye cream from Bliss to combat the signs of aging. Then I read more about the toxic ingredients found in these expensive creams. For example, according to the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database, the Bliss eye cream I mentioned has ingredients linked to cancer and developmental/reproductive toxicity.
While there are plenty of expensive all-natural eye creams out there, I decided to save money by making my own from ingredients found at Whole Foods. I got the recipe from Janice Cox’s book, Natural Beauty At Home. Heat 2 tablespoons of grated cocoa butter with 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in a double boiler on the stove until they are completely melted. Pour the mixture into a clean container and allow it to cool completely.

The resulting cream has the consistency of Crisco, so only a little is needed for each eye. After two week’s use of this cream, are my wrinkles eradicated? No. But the skin around my eyes feels soft and hydrated.
So my Thrifty Green Thursday tip of the week is to save money by making this all-natural eye cream. Click here for more tips.

10 comments:

Quirky Mom said...

That's cool! You should package it in fancy jars and give it as gifts!!

Wayfaring Wanderer said...

Man, I hope I'm as thrifty as you when I grow up! :)

hokgardner said...

I know what I'll be making this weekend! Thanks for the tip.

Joy said...

What a wonderful idea! I bet it smells fabulous too. Homemade beauty products are such a cool and economic way to go green! Thanks for joining us this week for Thrifty Green Thursday!

Also, you may want to reenter your link because it doesn't go to your page right now. I can delete the old link for you.

Maude Lynn said...

That sounds like it smells divine!

MaryAnn Ashley said...

I bet it smells good too...

Unknown said...

I hope to be able to do this one day. You made it seem so easy to do. You should set up shop on esty!

courtney
cookingupafamily.com

Stat Mama said...

How cool! I want to try making some!

Cookie said...

Wow! I never would have thought of that!
and did you get your money back for that $80 eye cream???

Rebecca said...

Warning: you can end up spending a lot of money on natural ingredients in your quest to make your own beauty supplies. And then you have a bunch of cocoa butter, jojoba oil, essential oils, and glycerine around. You may have gathered that I'm speaking from bitter experience!

Of course, making your own products can be a fun hobby. I did give a lot of my creations as gifts, so that was a bonus.

Sorry to write such a negative comment! I'll bet your cream is excellent!