Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Baby Fat


My son James turned 3 years old recently. At his checkup, the doctor said he was 40 squared--40 inches tall and 40 pounds. Not only is he in the 95th percentile for height and weight, but when they calculated his body mass index, he is technically overweight. What??? I know childhood obesity is a serious issue, let's use some common sense, please, and not scare parents by measuring their toddlers' BMI! As these pictures show, he's just got some baby fat left. My older son, Ethan, was technically overweight when he was 3 years old, and then he thinned out and now looks like a string bean. The baby fat phase goes fast, so I wanted to capture what's left on James on film and submit to "Weekly Winners." For information, click http://sarcasticmom.com/?page_id=137.



I especially love the chub on his legs and hands.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

That's a good question--I'll have to pay closer attention. His feet my pronate like mine, unfortunately.

Kathleen said...

Oh for goodness sake these pediatritions are driving me nuts, they are obsessed. they told my friends little 4 year old the same thing in front of the girl who is now paranoid about being fat! He is not Fat!