Monday, September 21, 2009

Fall Color Coordination

We just returned from a long weekend in south central Kentucky visiting my husband’s family. Since I live in a semi-arid Colorado, where the landscape is dominated by scruffy yellow grass, I can’t help but be slapped upside the face with Kentucky's lush greenness. Only now, as the weather starts to cool, all the foliage is tinged with red, purple and orange.
Take this vine that creeps up a metal shack at the family farm. The leaves blend from green to burgundy to yellow, punctuated with blue-black berries. But what’s really lovely is how the reds and purples of this vine compliment the shack’s painted green sides. The red leaves bring out the shack’s rust streaks.

Rust never looked so pretty.

12 comments:

TALON said...

You're right - the rust does look pretty. And the reds and the burgundy really compliment the green perfectly.

betty said...

it is pretty! glad you got to get away and visit family

betty

Lynn said...

It is always so much fun to me to visit another area of the country. Lovely photos Cathy!

hokgardner said...

I always feel the same way when I head to my parents' house in Atlanta. It's so lush and green there compared to dry, crispy Texas.

By the way, you won my giveaway. Send me your address.

the mama bird diaries said...

That is beautiful rust.

Destiny's child... said...

You are so right. It looks lovely. :)

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Yes - love the color combination with the foliage and the shed.

Cookie said...

Great pics!@ I know what you mean about the foilage (did I spell that right). I live in Seattle and we visit my family in VA it's so different. It's hard to explain to people who live in one area or the other because it's just so easy to take for granted but when you visit from one area to another you can really appreciate the differences!

Janice said...

And I love how the vines are spilling off of the corner of the shed. Plus it contributes to your "living a greener life" ideal! ;)

Maude Lynn said...

What beautiful colors!

Unseen India Tours said...

You are right !! Rust sometimes look fantastic !! Great post..Unseen Rajasthan

Kathleen W. said...

I love finding beauty in "ugly" places. It's quite an artistic way of thinking.