Monday, October 26, 2009

A Detour Down Memory Lane


Last weekend I went on scrapbooking retreat at the Holiday Inn in Estes Park. I’m woefully behind in assembling my scrapbooks. In fact, on this retreat, I focused on finishing my now-4-year-old son James’ baby book.
On Sunday afternoon, I regretfully packed up my gigantic scrapbooking bag and hit the road to go back home. I thought I was on highway 36, which takes you back to Denver, but after a few moments of driving I wasn’t so sure. The road went south instead of east. Unfortunately I had to drive quite a few miles on the narrow, winding road before I found a good place to turn around.
The road leveled off and on the left-hand side was a sign for Lily Lake. I pulled into the parking lot before the little alpine lake. Mt Meeker and 14,000-ft. Long’s Peak were reflected in its still waters.
I had been here before. When Terry and I moved back to Colorado in 2004, we tried to make up for lost time in the Chicago flatlands by going up to mountains as much as possible. On one of our weekend outings, we came here to picnic and stroll around the lake. Here’s a photo of me, almost three months pregnant with James, and then-2-year-old Ethan, taking in the gorgeous scenery.
So much in my life has changed since this photo was taken, but this place looks exactly the same.

8 comments:

betty said...

looks like such a scenic beautiful place! I was at Estes Park years ago and it was GORGEOUS!

glad you got a chance to get away and work on some scrapbooking! that's one of those nice projects that is always there and always something to do with it, creating wonderful memories :)

(I changed my signature line/picture for commenting on blogs; didn't want to confuse you wondering who was leaving a comment on your blog :)

enjoy the day :)

betty

pixiemama said...

Sweet. :)
Life goes on, no?

TALON said...

Lovely shot, Cathy. What a gorgeous location!

There's something really beautiful about finding that not every single thing in our lives has to change.

Scrapbooking is so fun! I'm glad you had the opportunity to get away and enjoy yourself.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

What a lovely photo! And I completely identify with taking years to finish the baby books. I still haven't finished the cover for my now 13-year-old's baby book!

Unknown said...

That's an awesome looking place - mountains, lake, trees and big sky. What else can one look for? And it looks as though it's well kept, too.

Destiny's child... said...

The place looks absolutely gorgeous! I am sure did a great job with the scrapbook :)

Cookie said...

Wow! Kinda funny how scrapbooking brought you back to a place you had been before... looks like a good memory :)

the mama bird diaries said...

I was just looking at old photos today. I love it.